Keeping yourself and others safe during a flood
If there is a flood, make sure you keep yourself safe.
- If it’s safe to do so, stay in your home until advised otherwise by the emergency services.
- Avoid driving through flood water, even a shallow amount can harm vehicles and hide potential debris and lifted manholes. If you must leave your home during a flood, follow the AA's advice on driving in heavy rain, standing water and floods.
- Keep dry and out of floodwater, if possible.
- Wash your hands or any other parts of your body that have been in contact with floodwater before attending to any wounds.
- Don't allow children to play in floodwater. As well as risk of disease, there is a risk of drowning.
- Wait upstairs or somewhere safe until the flood subsides, unless you're told otherwise.