Keeping property safe during a flood
To keep your home and possessions protected during a flood, you can:
- Turn off the electricity, gas and water mains, if it’s safe to do so,
- Try to move as many of your belongings as possible upstairs or as high as possible, but don't take any risks. Items to try to move include electrical items, important documents like your insurance policy and sentimental items.
- Move your car to higher ground, if it’s safe to do so.
- Make sure your premises are secure and shut all windows if you have to be evacuated from your property because of flooding,
- Find out where to get sandbags.
- Take pictures of any damage in case your insurance company may want to see it later on. Read more about how to deal with your insurance after a flood.