Report a flood
Emergencies: report a flood
- Ring 999 if there's a danger to life.
- Ring the 24-hour Environment Agency flood line number on 0345 988 1188. Type talk 0345 602 6340 for the hard of hearing.
Non-emergencies: report a flood or something that could cause a flood
- To report flooding from burst pipes, ring United Utilities Leakline on 0800 330 033.
- To report flooding from waste water or sewers, ring United Utilities on 0345 672 3723.
- If your house is flooding, ring your insurance company's 24 hour emergency number.
- To report flooding on the highway or as a result of blocked drains and gullies, use our report a flood due to a blocked grid or drain form.
Report a flood at your property
When a flood happens in Manchester, we consider whether an investigation should be carried out. It's not always our responsibility to resolve the flooding, we will investigate to determine who is responsible.
Report a flood at your property if you have a problem from:
- Surface water (water pooling on the surface after heavy rainfall)
- Groundwater (water rising up from below ground level)
- Ordinary watercourses (you can find out about the difference between ordinary watercourses and main rivers here (link to watercourses page)
What happens when you report a flood at your property
Your report will be investigated, then a member of the flood risk team will be in contact to advise you accordingly. We will advise on options you can take to resolve the issue and provide relevant referral links and guidance. We strongly recommend you provide contact details when reporting the flood as this will impact on the timing of a response.
Responsibility for resolving flood issues
We use relevant legislation to determine who is responsible for resolving the incident. Manchester City Council doesn’t have a duty to resolve flood incidents if we are not the responsible party.
Responsibility for protecting property
It is important to remember that people have the right to protect their own property from flooding providing this is not detrimental to the flood risk of others. See our responsibilities.