Online services this weekend

There may be some disruption to our online benefits systems this weekend. Please keep trying. Sorry for any inconvenience.


Council tax Money off council tax for students and people who live with students

Halls of residence

Student halls of residence are exempt from council tax.

If you live in a student hall of residence there is nothing to pay. You don't need to claim an exemption.

To qualify as a student hall of residence the building must be:

  • owned or managed by a charity, or by an educational establishment that mainly provides further or higher education; or
  • included in an agreement that allows an educational establishment to allocate most of the people who live there.

Was this page helpful?

Was this page helpful?