Council tax Money off council tax for students and people who live with students

  • Halls of residence  are automatically exempt from council tax.
  • Properties, other than halls, are exempt if everyone is a student. But you need to apply for the exemption
  • Properties where one or more household members (over 18) are not students, cannot be exempt. The non-students are responsible for the bill. The non-students may be able to get another type of reduction. For example, a single parent with a child over 18 who is a student may be entitled to a single person discount.
  • If the student is the sole owner or tenant, they remain liable for the bill but may be able to get another type of reduction if someone who isn't a student is living with them.

You are classed as a full-time student for council tax if:

  • you are 18 or over and at college, university or similar;
  • your course lasts at least 24 weeks in the year; and
  • it involves at least 21 hours of study a week; and
  • the college or university considers your course to be full-time.

In addition:

  • you are also classed as a full-time student if you are 18 or 19 and on a non-advanced course like A-levels that lasts at least three months and involves at least 12 hours of study a week.
  • your college or university must be in the UK or the European Union, you don't have to attend; you can be engaged in distance learning as long as you meet the other student criteria
  • you must live in the UK.

More information about students and council tax

Was this page helpful?

Fields marked * cannot be left blank

Feedback submitted to us on this form is monitored but you won’t receive a reply. In an emergency, visit our emergency contact details page. Please don't include any personal or financial information, for example your National Insurance or credit card numbers.