Manchester City Council

Benefits & Support Money off council tax for students and people who live with students

You may be able to get a reduction or exemption on your bill:

  • If everyone at the property is a student, the property is exempt. This means there is nothing to pay, but you must still apply
  • If one household member (over 18) isn't a student, the property can't be exempt. The non student is responsible for the bill. They may be able to get a reduction
  • If two or more household members (over 18) aren't students there is no exemption, but there may be a reduction. See other reasons for reductions.

You are classed as a full-time student for council tax if:

  • you are 18 or over and at college, university or similar;
  • your course lasts at least 24 weeks in the year; and
  • it involves at least 21 hours of study a week.

In addition:

  • you are also classed as a full-time student if you are 18 or 19 and on a non-advanced course like A-levels that lasts at least three months and involves at least 12 hours of study a week.
  • your college or university must be in the UK or the European Union, you don't have to attend; you can be engaged in Distance Learning as long as you meet the other student criteria
  • you must live in the UK.

Was this information helpful?

Was this page helpful?