LHA is the name for Housing Benefit that is paid to most tenants of private landlords.
The amount of benefit you get depends on:
- who lives with you
- where your home is
- how much money you have coming in
- your savings
- how much rent you pay
- your age
LHA rules do not apply to you if:
- you have been claiming without a break, for the same address, since before April 2008
- you are a private tenant whose tenancy began before January 1989
- you are a tenant of a housing association, Manchester Housing or Northwards Housing
- you are a tenant of a charity or voluntary organisation with a package of care and support from your landlord or somebody else on your landlord’s behalf
- you live in a caravan, houseboat, mobile home or hostel
- you live in board-and-lodging accommodation.
If LHA rules apply to you, you can find the LHA rate for your home. You need to know: